The Big Picture: Prolonged Grief Disorder Principles & Procedures – Feb 2024
Friday, February 9, 2024 | 9:00 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. EST
Introduction to our way of understanding grief; adaptation to loss and impediments to adaptation; overview of evidence-based grief therapy.
A live, synchronous online Continuing Education workshop via ZOOM.
The workshop will be broadcast live and a recording will not be available. There will be two short breaks and a meal break. Please be mindful of the change in your time zone.
Out of stock
This one-day workshop is designed to provide a conceptual framework for understanding grief and adaptation to the death of a loved one generally and in relation to PGD. We include strategies and procedures for screening, diagnosis, and assessment of individuals with PGD, and discuss how to differentiate this condition from major depression and post-traumatic stress disorder. We provide an overall big picture, or an overview of prolonged grief disorder therapy (PGDT), and introduce some simple, practical procedures that you can use in your practice. This workshop pairs well with our in-depth two-day Practice-Focused Training.
- Demonstrate understanding of acute, integrated, and prolonged grief and adaptation to loss by explaining these concepts to a friend or family member
- Implement effective screening, diagnosis, and assessment procedures with bereaved clients
- Recognize differences between PGD, PTSD, and MDD
- Introduce and explain the use of a grief monitoring diary
Sonya Lott, PhD & Kim Gordon, LMHC
Learn more about our workshop faculty: https://prolongedgrief.columbia.edu/about-us/our-team
$225 includes workshop attendance and digital access to the PGD Assessment Measures. Student rates are available.
Continuing Education Information
Please note that to receive a continuing education certificate of completion, you must attend the entire duration of the workshop live and complete the evaluation survey. There is a 15-minute attendance grace period. Certificates of completion and refunds are not provided for late arrivals or early departures. Please plan accordingly.
Certificates of completion will be distributed via email within 2 weeks of the event to those meeting the attendance requirements.
American Psychological Association | The Center for Prolonged Grief at Columbia School of Social Work is approved by the American Psychological Association to sponsor continuing education for psychologists. The Center for Prolonged Grief maintains responsibility for this program and its content.
Note: Many state boards recognize the APA approval. Please check with your state licensing board.
New York State Education Department
- NYSED State Board for Psychology recognizes the Center for Prolonged Grief as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed psychologists (#PSY-0150).
- NYSED Board for Social Work recognizes the Center for Prolonged as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed social workers (#SW‐0727).
- NYSED State Board for Mental Health Practitioners recognizes the Center for Prolonged Grief as an approved provider of continuing education for licensed mental health counselors (#MHC-0104) and licensed marriage and family therapists (#MFT-0080).
If you are not licensed in New York State: Please check with your state’s licensing board. Many states have recognized our continuing education hours as we are at a CSWE-accredited institution and part of a regionally accredited university. It is your responsibility to confirm you will receive credit hours for this program.